Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Spring is Here

10 x 12 Oil on canvas board

The lowly dandelion comes to life, still life that is. The bouquet of choice for toddlers to give to moms, but they really are a versatile plant, although pesty! I used to hunt the tender new greens with my father when I was little, and we would make salad with them, full of iron... good for you. My sister, the plant lover, has made dandelion wine, (I have never tasted it, so can't vouch), and she has roasted the roots and made coffee!! How's that for this pesky little ..... dare I say....weed! They don't last more that a few hours in a vase, (in case you had ideas for a centerpiece)!

5 comments:

  1. These are beautiful. I've eaten the new leaves and made wine. Who knew they could be so lovely in a vase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice blog Mary. Some really interesting paintings here

    ReplyDelete
  3. I eat dadelion salad too! it's great!

    and we even boil it until limp and serve with garlic, olive oil and lemon! when you eat it with fabulous italian bread, man! it's great!
    but then again i'm used to the bitterness!

    ciao bella
    great painting!

    creative carmelina

    ReplyDelete
  4. My goodness, you have a few stories to tell about dandelions! That's entertaining! This was a challenging composition and you pulled it off brilliantly! The stripes in the tablecloth, the less than glamorous flower all made for a difficult row to hoe, but it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete